For many women, not having their nails done is something out of the question. They either have to go to the nail salon to get their nails done professionally or paint their nails by themselves, one way or another they have to be done! However, you can achieve the same look from the comfort of your own home.
You don’t necessarily have to go to a nail technician in order to have gel nails. Most people might think that applying your classic/traditional nail polishes will have the same effect, but once you start to do your manicure at home with a kit, you will never return to your normal nail varnishes.
One of the main reasons why people prefer having gel nails is due to the glossy finish, the thick & gel-like appearance of your manicure, as well as the fact your nails will never be chipped. In today’s post, you will be able to find a list of products you need for your kit, as well as tips to maintain your manicure at home. Not only will you be able to save money, but you will also be saving a lot of time as well! It’s definitely not as complicated as people make out, and a big bonus when you have the ability to do it yourself, you may even start your very own business!
Without further ado, let’s jump into the post!
First of all, you should know in order to do your nails professionally by yourself – you need to have all of the right tools & equipment. You can find all the tools for your kit on Amazon, a good quality starter kit starts around £100-£150, which isn’t the most affordable price but considering the amount of money you spend for your nail appointments – this is definitely an investment. You won’t have to spend any more money to get your nails done and you will be able to use these tools for years!
THE STARTER KIT
- Nail file: In order to file your nails to your desired length.
- Cuticle pusher: Used to push and design easily the cuticles on one side, and remove leftover skin or glue on the other side.
- Cuticle cutter: Used to cut overgrown fingernail skin and cuticles in order to obtain a perfect clean contour of the nails.
- Nail buffer: In order to file, buff and polish your nails.
- Lint-free cotton pads: Perfect for removing your nail polish.
- Nail cleaner: Used to clean and prep your nails and to ensure better adhesion of the gel colour to your nail plate. Can also be used to remove your manicure.
- UV LED nail lamp
- Base Coat: You need to have a base coat in order to strengthen and protect your natural nails.
- UV LED nail varnishes: There are so many gel LED nail polishes available on Amazon.
- Topcoat: You need to apply a topcoat for a long-lasting manicure. It also adds an incredible shine that lasts several weeks.
- Cuticle oil: In order to moisturise the cuticles.
- Remover: Gel nail polishes are removed using an acetone-based product.
- Foil wraps nail polish remover: To remove gel nail polish.
A FEW TIPS:
- If you are new to gel nails, check online to learn the basics. You can even find professional nail technicians who share their tips on their YouTube channels or Instagram accounts.
- In order to improve the longevity of your manicure, make sure not to touch the cuticles with the nail polish.
- When you are going to do gel nails at home, be careful with the nail polishes you use. Only use nail varnishes that are marked as “removable” which means they can be easily removed with an acetone-based remover. Those who do not mention it or aren’t marked as “removable” can only be removed using an electric nail drill. It’s a device that only professionals know how to use properly, plus that requires a lot of practice as well.
- Last but not least, take your time and be patient. Doing your manicure takes a good 2 hours with all the preparations. As time passes, you will obviously be able to do your manicure in a much better and precise way. Always think about the end result, you literally don’t need to do anything for 2 to 3 weeks which is amazing!